Monday, August 25, 2008

Rock on


I've always loved to listen to music in just about every circumstance. Most of my life has been accompanied by an actual soundtrack. If I sit down to dinner and there's no music playing, I feel like there's something missing. If I'm going to sleep, I like to hear music. If I'm in the shower, I sing. I cannot imagine preferring to exercise, cook, or -- most of all -- drive without music. However, much to my surprise, I have found lately that there are actually people like that. I just don't get it. Some might say that I like to have a steady stream of sound because I don't like to be alone with my thoughts. I disagree. Instead, I think songs help me understand what I'm feeling. There have been so many times that I hear a song I've known my whole life, but never really "got" because I hadn't lived it yet. I guess there may be something Mary Poppin-esque about always wanting to whistle while I work, but if the bottomless carpetbag fits...

2 comments:

China Pattern said...

Hmm.. This is interesting. I find that I get so wrapped up in the music that it can be a little too distracting to drive. Other times, I love having music on when I do certain chores. The only time I sing is with the vacuum sweeper on or the car windows rolled up! LOL. Perhaps you are more of an auditory learner, as opposed to a someone who learns best with a tactile or visual approach.

Anonymous said...

Oh I totally agree; my mind is actually MORE blank when there isn't some stirring music to get the colour flowing through all my thoughts...NEED my music!! :-)

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com