Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A little help?


Yesterday, my girls and I happened to be in the hometown of Robert Wadlow, who before his death was the tallest man in the world (8'11"). I'm a big dork who as a kid was fascinated by books and HBO specials about "very special people," so I couldn't leave the town without visiting all of the RW hotspots. His grave was easy to find, but when it came to finding his life-sized memorial statue, I had a little more trouble. I was driving around, my girls were getting impatient, and I decided I'd have to do something that goes completely against my nature -- stop and ask someone how to get there. I hate admitting I need help and have found that, contrary to popular stereotypes, I'm much less likely than a man to stop and ask for directions. (I need to learn to tap into my inner damsel in distress.) In the end, I bought a map rather than asking for directions. Although I'd like to say it was in the spirit of learning to fish instead of asking for dinner, it's really because I couldn't bring myself to admit I didn't know where I was. MNB never hesitates to ask for directions, which always amazes me. The ironic thing is, when it comes to really important things, he prides himself on being totally self-reliant and has even said he thinks people who pray are pussies because they're begging for help instead of taking care of business. I know he's wrong about that, but other than calling him on his hypocrisy, I don't have a lot of room to critize him, because he's better at asking for help than I am.

0 comments:

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com