Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Is he "friends" with Dionne Warwick?

Is it me, or do guys sense when a girl is contemplating kicking them to the curb and then launch a counterattack? Seriously, for some reason, it seems like guys string you along just to the point where you've decided it's time to call it a day and then they turn up the charm long enough to keep you hooked. I'm afraid this might be common knowledge to everyone who's been "in the game" for a while, but because I've been married for 100 percent of my adult life - until now - I didn't ever pick up on the phenomenon. As usual, I'm wondering how okay it is for me to continue allowing myself to be played in this way. I still think I'm at the point where I'd rather have someone who thinks they're taking advantage of me than not have anyone at all. That sounds so pathetic, but I hope that the fact that I'm aware of the game makes it a little less insane.

There's a Fiona Apple song, "Shadowboxer" that seems germane to my dilemma. Part of the lyrics say:

...I just wanna say
Just in case I don't come through
I was on to every play
I just wanted you.

I think it might be even more pathetic to admit you know someone is taking advantage of your vulnerability and are still playing along. At least you're not ignorant...

0 comments:

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com